Whilst your fence might not be considered a focal point, it frames and can totally transform your outdoor space. Choosing the right style can add real value.
So, as a leading UK supplier of designer slatted fencing panels in many beautiful, durable wood species, let’s explore this versatile, on-trend style of property perimeter. Is it right for your project?
Slatted fencing: ideas, inspiration & designs
Slatted screen fencing: why?
Slatted fencing provides a modern, smart and surprisingly practical touch to any outdoor space. It is perfect for designers wanting to achieve a contemporary look, maximise natural light and add atmosphere to their garden.
- Contemporary: The gaps produce linear shadows that transformsthroughout the day, either with the sun's movement or as a result of any lighting — a modern design favourite.
- Versatile: You can't get away from the inherent beauty of timber as a natural material — able to blend effortlessly into any surrounding, urban or rural.
- Great for any size garden: If you’re working with a smaller space — such as a courtyard garden — horizontal slatted fencing elongates the area, providing the illusion of spaciousness.
- Natural lighting: Conventional fencing blocks out light. Since this is not true of slatted fencing, you’ll have brighter, more airy and uplifting outdoor space — great news for your garden plants as well as your wellbeing.
- Partitioning and theming: As well as for perimeters, slatted fencing is ideal for creating zones within an outdoor space, perhaps to conceal more unsightly parts of your garden — such as storage areas — or for framing certain spaces.
- Wind resistance: Since this fencing style boasts a 10mm gap between each slat, air is able to easily filter through — taking the pressure of the British weather off the panels and posts! The increased air flow can help your plants to thrive, too, mitigating the risk of disease.
- Privacy: The size of the individual slats — 45mm or 70mm — allows you choose a level of cover and privacy whilst not completely obscuring light. ‘Hit and miss’ alternating slatted fencing provides added privacy whilst still retaining the contemporary touch.
- Outdoor durability: Slatted fencing is available in a number of naturally-durable, premium timber species, each suiting a certain aesthetic vision or price point — this includes favourites like Siberian Larch, Western Red Cedar and Douglas Fir. Then there’s Thermo-Ayous, a sustainable treated timber, as well as Iroko, a stunning African hardwood. You could even choose factory-treated options in charcoal, grey or natural — all pre-finished and ready to go.
Those looking for a more traditional feel with maximum privacy in their garden may want to look at a featherboard (or close-board) profile. Or, for a fully-private space with a contemporary element, tongue and groove boarding with a V-groove or shadow gap may fit the bill.
Duffield Timber: your one-stop shop for timber slatted fencing
We’re a leading UK stockist of designer slatted fencing in many beautiful, durable timber species.
For more information to help with your next outdoor fencing project, take a look at our fencing guide. To get started on your next project or for some bespoke advice, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team of experts.